Week 3

Character analysis

Sarai is described as a beautiful woman. She is brave. She couldn’t conceive a child. Therefore, she decided to let her maid be with her husband in order to have a child. This demonstrates how brave she is. Not every woman let her own husband to be with another woman and most importantly to have a kid. This situation shows how desperate she was. She wanted to satisfy the wishes that Abraham and she had. The biggest desire of a women is to be pregnant. Therefore, this justifies her desperation of having one. According to the dialog in Genesis 16, verse 5 ” And Sarai said unto Abraham, my wrong be upon thee: I have given my maid into thy blossom; and when she saw that she had conceived, I was deposed in her eyes: the LORD judge between me and you.” Based on the way Sarai talks to Abraham we can say that she is a direct person which says things clearly. This evidence illustrates the jealousy of Sarai. In a way she is regretting the decisions she made. Furthermore, she acted under the desperation she had instead of thinking the consequences this could had in the future. Moreover, Sarai sounds like a person which doesn’t accepts her culpability. In this verse she is accusing Abraham of the hate the maid expressed to her.  The significance of Sarai to main events is that she has caused the conflict. She came up with the idea and now is suffering and regretting it.